BJEWELED

your link to what every woman should know about the finer points in life, love and expressing yourself with jewelry

September 8, 2011

“Put A Ring On It”

Benchmark Rings

“I see you were waiting for me,” a tall, slightly graying and well built man says.

“Yes” I smile, without hesitation. What I don’t say is…All My Life…while he lifts my 30lb carry-on into to overhead bin and sits down in the seat next to me.

Fifteen minutes into our conversation of why I am on my way to Indianapolis and finding out that he lives maybe 10 or so minutes from my family, his wife calls and asks him to pick up kid’s Tylenol on his way home and he responds “does Brian have a fever and did Molly go to school?”

Earlier on I had looked down at his finger.  No wedding band, no white faded line, no sign that there was a significant other, but here we were with 2 sniffing  kids. Okay, you all know that I may watch too many Nora Ephron movies. I also believe in the serendipity of  meeting a mate (for life) on a plane–with the help of a cousin who has done so and some girlfriends who inspire me by insisting–“when flying, lose the sweatpants and wear some blush.” Adding, “guys do travel for business a lot.”

The letdown is huge when you find out that none of these guys seem to be single, straight or available. Sure this has happened to me before,  and no, not only on planes. But there is something about the altitude at 35,000 feet, when I am seated in 8D and 8C is finally (after 22 previous flights) a steamy green-eyed man that doesn’t take up both my seat and his, that isn’t dropping guacamole or pasta sauce on either of us and  doesn’t wind up falling asleep and drooling on me. Then… somewhere into sharing our abridged life stories, favorite movies and handing him his drink, I find out that his wife’s name is Sarah and I wind up giving him advice on jewelry for her.

On the way home from Indy, I counted all the guys left fingers with wedding bands  and I am telling you there were way too few of them,  even with my limited mathematical abilities for 32 rows deep and 3 and 2 rows across.

While I know my readership is primarily women, except for my guy friends and writers, (thank you for reading, btw)…I am asking you all to pass this along. I am instituting a new jewelry rule.  Yes, rule!

If you are married and you are a man, it’s your duty to wear a wedding band. It’s that simple. And believe me, I am not one of those woman who like men in bling. Anything that smacks of gold chains, pinky rings, ponytails and pierced ears says mid life crisis, The Real Husbands of New Jersey or rap star wanna-be to me.  A cool silver bracelet, maybe a talisman around your neck, cuff links for guys who wears a suit for work and a vintage watch all will bespeak who you are without shouting…and guess what…so should your WEDDING BAND.  And, yes, well maybe I was shouting just then.

There are many different materials and styles to be found out there and I suggest that if you aren’t wearing yours because–“it’s not comfortable”, your “finger swelled,” you swelled or got larger…. or  you misplaced it and decided to get an iPad instead—go out and invest in a band in your new size. Metals such as stainless steel and platinum are hypo-allergenic and there are cool materials such as Titanium..okay? (see also: bikes and tennis raquets)  There are all different widths in the simplest of bands.  There are aged looking oxidized styles and those with a subtle motif. Trust me, there is one out there just for you. Check out companies like Benchmark  and Unique Settings and designers such as  Sarah Graham, Rebecca Overmann and David Heston for Heston Designs and Scott Kay’s SK Colbalt  collection.

Before I try and get engagement rings instituted as a custom for men, I would first like to suggest that you males not get on a plane ring-less to distract me from  my “happily-ever-after” fantasy…a cute guy with all ten fingers free, and also free to ask me for dinner or drinks…

SK Cobalt

16 Responses

1. rebecca says:

Smart, Funny and SO True!

2. mark says:

great blog once again. Funny…what we’ve come to love about your writing is all here–the humor, hopefulness and heart. A great package. But Beth, does this mean I have to start wearing a wedding band, really?

3. rachel says:

really enjoyed this read! love the honesty and humor.

4. Karin says:

Excellent blog Beth! Spot on and hilarious! BTW, I totally agree….having just gotten married I made sure I “put a ring on it”. It’s even just a hair tight on his finger so if by chance he has it off there’s still an imprint : )

5. Neil Schatz says:

Beth:
    So cute and heartfelt, you write like we are having a private conversation.
    I feel compelled to tell you I wear my gold band always.

6. Great blog…..enjoyed it!!!

7. Antonio says:

Hey, always great writing! I think that we all want MORE from you, though.
    How about a series of short stories, for example? I remember all those stories about your family…well? You know so much about jewelry and human soul. Great writer or thorough jewelry pundit?
    Antonio from Naples

8. lorne31 says:

Great story…as a guy, I can’t understand why men don’t take pride in their wedding rings. Mine means so much to me…I couldn’t imagine not getting on a plane without it. Your insight into both yourself and others (even total strangers) never ceases to amaze me

9. steve says:

cool blog BB. You certainly do have a lot of “experiences” to write about. The stories are always great. Every time I think of an ‘available’ guy–I’m not quite sure he’s worthy of you. But still trying to find some one to “put on ring on it”–your left finger.

10. adam says:

agree with Steve. You never lack those often funny, sometime ‘wth’ experiences that make your stories a fun read even for guys who don’t wear jewelry or understand anything about jewelry. You’re writing always has so much of you in it and that’s what makes it so full of heart, irony and soul.

11. jane says:

guys responded–good sign. Great blog as usual. Keep them coming. Loved to read about your life through the jewelry stories and get your advice. Always fun and informative

12. Reed says:

An excellent read. Beth, you have this way of drawing in the reader. We definitely need more of your writing & can’t wait for the book. This from a guy who wears NO jewelry. Great work & please keep it coming.

13. michele says:

SO, the blog is fun, the pics are great, the comments are intriguing, uff!
    I love reading your writing but I think We need more, woman. Where’s the beef? Give us a Story…not just rubies. In the mean time, please, keep on going, Proud Mary. I’ll await your next pieces awakeing me from the predictability of my intellectual torpor. Ciao.

14. emily keifer says:

I have the best guy, Beth. He is actually proud to wear his ring! The funny part of our story is, I made him a simple elegant platinum band. Heavy and even more valuable than my own ring. But in the winter, his finger shrinks slightly and it falls off, so I bought him a $30 wholesale titanium band to wear while we sized it, and he never took it off. Kinda like the kid who unwraps a big, awesome toy on Christmas morning and then plays with the box for the rest of the day! ;-O

15. bjeweled says:

@Michele. I am assuming the “beef” is my book that is scheduled for publication in 2012. Have to wait on that one! Rubies–good analogy and my b’day is coming soon (: (: ….thanks for the comment.

16. Trace Shelton says:

This is great stuff, Beth — we need to add a humor piece to INDESIGN to accommodate your witty, personal and heartfelt stories about jewelry and life. (Yes, I admit it… I laughed!)